Sunday 19 August 2018

Review: Personality Cult - Personality Cult

If I simply said that if you like the Buzzcocks you will like Personality Cult I could pretty much sum up the general idea of the band. However, then you might say, "Sloane, why don't I just listen to the Buzzcocks?" I'll tell you why! Bees might come out of your anus if you don't! Wait, no, because of the songs. Personality Cult might remind you of power pop records of yore but there is enough idiosyncratic writing here that will keep you from turning back to your old Briefs records.

The a-side kicks thing off with the one-two punch of "Burned" and "Hot Head", the later of which has a squealing intro and slinky lead that make the 60s sound like they didn't suck ass. "Functioning Fine" throws in some throbbing saxophone playing that accentuates the anxiety rock at play for a darker tinge than you might expect.



Towards the end of the album, Personality Cult start to edge out their comfort zone (I say this without knowing much about them as I have never heard any of their prior releases not do I know where to get them). "Doing Worse" glides along at the band's typical frantic pace but comes crashing to a minimalist half-minute noise wall before returning to the song's repeated refrain. That mix of bitter and sweet makes things all that more satisfying. This sets up the oscillating stop-start freakout of "Fashionably Late", which makes me feel as though I've already contradicted myself as the exceptions to straightforward power pop on Personality Cu;t prove to be the rule.

Unfortunately, the band allegedly has some tapes and a Euro compilation of some kind but I can't find any info or links on any of it. They also allegedly share members with Natural Causes from Carrboro, North Carolina but I can also not confirm any of this. The two bands don't really sound alike though so who gives a heck, anhwho? So, if you want catchy pogo-ready tunes to clean the gutter to clean you eavestrough this fall, this may be your only option that isn't Personality Cult - but why would you want that?


1 comment:

  1. I am Mariam,from what I can read. It has been sad news and scam to everyone about Voodoo casters or so. But to me they are so real because one worked for me not quite long ago.i met this man on a blog his name is Dr Abalaka is a very powerful man.I traveled down to where his shrine his and we both did the ritual and sacrifice.he had no website yet but he promised to create one as costumers are requesting for it, and now i'm free from the powders of sickness.I don't know about you but Voodoo is real;love marriage,finance, job promotion ,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,diabetic voodoo,hypertensive,depression healing voodoo etc,high cholesterol voodoo,Trouble in marriage,Barrenness(need a child),Luck, Money Spells,he also cure any cancer and HIV,it's all he does. I used my money to purchase everything he used he never collected a dime from. He told me I can repay him anytime with anything from my heart. Now I don't know how to do that. If you can help or you need his help write him on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) and also his cell number: 760-935-3804 you can text him because he use to be very busy some times,i believe that your story will change for better,or if you have any question you can contact me here as mariambaurice@gmail.com best of luck.

    ReplyDelete