Tuesday 14 August 2018

Review: Spiritual Cramp - Police State


This is one of my favourite records of the year so far. If punk is supposed to be for the freaks and weirdos, Spiritual Cramp's Police State is your soundtrack. Their eponymous track is all kindsa garage caterwauling with some backup vocals that are on some straight up Scooby Doo but that ain't doo doo, you feel me? The police violence tale of "850 Bryant" shuffles along with some dub reggae, which I'm usually highly skeptical of on a punk record but Spiritual Cramp manage to pull it off in a surprising way. The b-side of the record smartly transitions into a plodding rhythm that is reminiscent of "London Calling" on "I Feel Bad Bein' Me". Reggae and "London Calling"? I know what you're thinking, and no this isn't some flaccid '77 revival with wankers wanking it to Captain Oi! reissues. Police State is wholly a product of the thoroughly messed up world we live in today and wonderfully builds on what Spiritual Cramp started with last year's Mass Hysteria. I hope that the risks they take keep paying off.



No comments:

Post a Comment